Shop Southern Illinois
Southern Illinois area Chambers of Commerce team up each year in an effort to encourage Southern Illinoisans to do a majority of their shopping in the region, rather than traveling outside of the area or shopping online. The effort, called “Shop Southern Illinois,” features a strong social media presence where residents can learn some of the reasons it is important for Southern Illinois to shop locally and where they may pledge to do most of their own shopping in the region by using the hashtag #IBuySI.
If you would like to donate a prize to the Shop Southern Illinois program, please contact the Marion Chamber of Commerce.
Shop Southern Illinois decals, provided by Wesley’s Custom Graphics and the Illinois Small Business Development Center, are available at the Marion Chamber of Commerce. Everyone is encouraged to get a Shop Southern Illinois decal and proudly display it on their vehicle, at their business, or anywhere!
Southern Illinois Chambers/Main Street programs sponsoring the effort include:
- Benton/West City
- Hamilton County
- Saline County
- Union County
- West Frankfort
- and Main Street Golconda
Top 10 reasons to buy local
By Susan Odum
Community & Economic Development
University of Illinois Extension
- Local businesses recycle a much larger share of their revenue back into the local economy; therefore, the more money you spend locally, the more those dollars stay in our community.
- Local businesses employ individuals who live within the community and contribute to the growth of the local economy.
- Buy Local contributes to the growth of the local tax base and provides needed revenues to support essential services, like public safety and infrastructure improvements, such as roads and streets.
- Local business owners have a vested interest in our community’s future and are less likely to leave.
- When local businesses succeed, they stay and they thrive, which in turn attracts new businesses.
- Local businesses are the major supporters of local charities, athletics programs, fundraisers and school activities.
- Local business owners attend our local churches, school programs and community events and their children and grandchildren attend our local schools.
- Local businesses traditionally offer superior customer service and take the time to build personal and lasting relationships with their customers.
- Local businesses are the lifeblood of the community, therefore, critical to the community’s survival.
- Buy Local encourages and ensures local prosperity, by supporting existing jobs and creating an environment for new job growth.
For more information about Buy Local, click on these links:
- Buy Local Principles
- Buy Local or Bye, Bye Local
- A Return to the Good Ole Days
- Loyalton vs Drainville
- Great Returns
- How Much Water is in Your Pool?
- Preserve Your Community's Unique Character
- A Vote for Your Community
- Recycle Your Income
- What's in it for me?
- Maintaining Law and Order
- Start seeing local
- Pennies for Potholes
- Retail Analysis of the Southernmost Counties of Illinois Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3